Thread: Engine: 2.3 F/Inj B23E/B230F: - Front shock absorber play
View Single Post
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 18:02   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Front shock absorber play

For some time I have noticed a quiet knocking noise from the front suspension when going slowly over small bumps. It is intermittent and not very noticeable.
I can sometimes reproduce the noise when lightly bouncing the wing.

Investigation shows that is NOT:

bottom ball joint
wishbone joints
track rod ends or steering rack
anti-roll bar bushes or links
strut top bearing

I am concluding that it must be end-float in the shock absorber insert inside the strut, secured by the gland nut, or else an internal play inside the shock absorber itself. The shock absorber seems fine - it damps a bounce immediately, and it is not leaking.

I know it is possible to release a strut at the top, compress the spring, release the top nut, unbolt from the turret, lower the suspension, and swing the strut out from under the wing and then remove and replace a shock absorber after undoing the gland nut, because I have done that in the past.

My question is, would it be possible to a) tighten the gland nut if it is loose, or b) undo it completely and slide it up the rod, without any other dismantling?

If there is any float caused by the nut not fully locking the shock absorber, I am wondering whether I could simply cut a metal shim with slit and spread it over the top of the top of the shock absorber, and then retighten the gland nut?
Has anyone ever done this? Does it sound feasible?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote