View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 15:33   #29
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see an electric motor on the axle and a battery on the floor to power the caravan , to take all the towing force from the car and compensate for the extra wind resistance, the car would be more economical and have better emissions when towing than with no caravan! Shall we patent the idea ?
That has its own problems.
Landrover tried a powered trailer to go with the 101 forward control for army use. They found when turning tightly the powered trailer tried to go streight on and toppled the towing vehicle on to its side.

Of vourse any think. CAN be made to work if you invest enough money, given the relativly small scale production of caravan makers I don't think any have the resources to implement the research or buy in the technology.

I baught a 2017 spec Coachman vip caravan new when the 2018 spec one was sat beside it. Took both brochures home and did a contrast and compare. The 2017 was by far the better specified van, had extractor fan, solar panel and thicker insulation than its younger brother which had extractor as extra, solar panel as extra and thinner insulation, all to save 25kg or so of weight. They had also moved the gas bottles to one side of the van rather than a central position in the front locker which would give a variable corner weight.
Not all progress is good progress.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote