View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 14:01   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
the only reason i wanted AWD is for launching, its generally better however if peoples experianc eis that front wheel drive is equal to or better than this might be a better option. I will be tuning, but not sure how much. I would also take it to strips and potentially start some track days too if the drive takes me that way.

I noticed that the Auto boxes seem to be slower to 60 than manuals, is this true?
I wouldnt bother with the aut boxes then if you are tuning as it would depend how far you go. Yes with launching you would defenitly benefit from the AWD but unless you are just going to run the 1/4 mile the AWD system is wasted really. Just for Stats my S40 ran the 1/4 standard at 17.0 best and after some stage 1 maps and boltons I was getting 14.5 but things like wider tires, lighter wheels etc and soon to come a Limited slip diff will all aid traction without the need for AWD.

As for track days, I would probably aim more towards the V50 platform then as its smaller / lighter and more nible. Tracks in the UK are small and tighter and you will find the more agile cars have a massive benefit. But with a littler work and a map on a V50 T5 could be knocking just over 300bhp

If you havent been on a track yet the drag strip is defenitly a great place to start to just see your car launch the 1/4 mile but to be honest the track days are where you will have more fun and you dont need to launch there at all.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote