View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 17:12   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Get a proper type 2 charger installed - and tethered is far more convenient than non-tethered. You're very unlikely to get a Type 1 car in the future, and the reduction in faff of a tethered charger is significant.

Also, don't try to save a few quid and have a 16A charger installed. Get a 32A, because even though your T8 can't make use of it, a future vehicle will. If they install a 16A charger that you later wanted to update to a 32A then you'd need new RCD, replace wiring from RCD to charger with thicker gauge, replace the charger unit and tethered lead, etc.

Best to do this now as the OLEV grants are reducing and you might not be able to get one at all in future.

I was fortunate to get a 16A podpoint installation for free from Nissan when I bought a used Leaf, but I paid £95 upgrade fee for a 32A unit for future proofing. When I sold the Leaf and bought a Tesla I bought a new type 2 tethered lead for £75 and sold the type 1 tethered lead for £50.
Don't Tesla use their 50A fast charger?

If it were me I would install the highest capacity charger I could, before the demand goes up and supply companies start introducing limits on what you can connect to their system, if future proofing is your aim. Once you have it they will have difficulty telling you to disconnect it post limits.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: