View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 09:37   #9
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Many thanks I-S.
While I have no plans for an electric car at present I am thinking of installing a charge point at home. Makes the property more sellable after my demise if nothing else.

Paul.
In order to qualify for the OLEV grant you will need to own an eligible car (doesn't matter if it's second hand).

We looked at this for my mum's house (as my brother and I both drive EVs), and even whether I could transfer my unused grant for the Tesla (I could get a second grant at my own property), but it wasn't possible.

Quote:
My house for some reason had a 3 phase supply, but a few years ago when the electricity company changed over the meter, to allow for smart meterage, they said they had to switch it out for a single phase supply.

It terms of future proofing, that may not have been the greatest move. I'm not sure how much choice I had in the matter or the technical detail. I didn't question it too much at the time. They had to dig up the garden to do it, so I assume it wasn't on a whim.
This does indeed seem extremely shortsighted. With the way things are moving forward, the move over to ASHP heating systems instead of fossil fuel boilers, EV charging, V2G, solar and battery storage, etc then houses are going to need stronger grid connections (potentially for transfer in both directions), not weaker.

It may depend of course on how your neighbours are connected. In europe it's typical for a home to have a 3-ph supply, around 40A per phase. Circuits in the house are put on different phases to approximately balance the load between the phases (eg heating goes on phase 1, cooking on phase 2, laundry on phase 3, etc).

In the UK domestic connections are now typically 100A single-phase (there are 60A and 80A connections on some older properties), but phase balancing is achieved by putting properties on different phases (so as you go down a street, house 1 is on phase 1, house 2 is on phase 2, house 3 on phase 3, etc).

This leads to things now - for example, if you're on an under-utilised phase then the DNO may not allow you to install a large solar array that would further reduce the utilisation of that phase. If you're on an over-utilised phase then they'll be very happy for you to do so!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote