Thread: Engine: 70: - ETM failure ?
View Single Post
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 20:41   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coughlanc View Post
I've hooked back to up to the car and confirmed that all 4 ETM related codes are back. No sweep test activation was available for this car however I was able to very both TP sensor angles feedbacks.

ECM-914F is triggered if the ETM detects
that the signals from throttle position sensors 1&2 differ by more
than 5% while driving.

Now bare with me here.
When manually pushing throttle butterfly fully closed pot 1 and 2 read 12.5degrees.
When push fully open they read 101 degrees.
From fully closed to fully open is 88.5 degrees. 5% of this figure is 4.4degrees.
When the butterfly was pushed to approx. mid way, POT 1 read 42.3 degrees and POT 2 read 48.44 degrees. This gap became even greater (closer to 8 degrees) when moving butterfly.
Is a symptom of ETM failure revs holding high (around 2000rpm) when throttle is released and engine hunting ?
Anyone have any ideas of further tests I can carry out ? Or is it time to get it repaired ?
Well they CAN last 15 years as you have proved , also a friend of mine did 200000 miles with no trouble then he bought a XC60 .
Yes time for a new ETM , the replacement with yellow label seem pretty trouble free . Or you can risk a repair by a company i guess , but compare prices carefully first between new and a repair .