Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - Excessive smoke, Help needed
View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2016, 20:09   #17
daveyonthemove

Quick update:
Got back from bank holiday adventures earlier than expected, so made use of the daylight hours and whipped the throttle body off.
The inside had a 1-2mm layer of soot and oil residue, and the new sensor was already lightly covered in oil (did a test drive around the car park after fitting!).
One of the butterfly valves was stiff and stuck open, so I cleaned that up and it now moves more freely.
Inlet manifold was thick with gunk and soot and took a lot of scraping to remove.
Followed with a healthy squirt of brake cleaner and dig around with a rag, it's looking far better but it's obvious that the EGR is causing issues here.

I did attempt to remove the EGR pipe at the manifold end, but one of the torx heads was rusty and started to round off, so I'm leaving it alone for now.

My Blanking plate is in it's way and should be a simple job to fit, so I just need to re-assemble the manifold and test drive in the morning.

Will unplugging the EGR act the same as blocking it (I.E prevent it from opening) until the blanking plate arrives? I will test it when connected and removed to see if there's a difference.
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote