View Single Post
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:28   #13
xcmarty

i recently replaced all discs and pads and park brake shoes on mine, rear parts cost about £120 at eurocarparts and to be honest it wasnt any dramas doing the job.

including the fronts i spent about 5 hrs on my drive doing it. not bad really considering how long you can take chewing on jacking cars up/down etc...

i then drove the car with cruise on (about 50mph), on a dual carriageway and kept pressing the parkbrake pedal with medium force whilst holding the release lever in my right hand.
this meant i could lightly bed them in and not be in danger of the brake staying on.

i pulled over, re-adjusted, drove home in the same manner and the brake has been much much better since. about 3 clicks is all you can get and it bites really well.
you'll need to get them bedded in a little to get full contact between shoe and drum or it will just feel like a poor park brake for ever, i was happy driving at 50mph and pumping the parkbrake on/off to get them worn in a little, seemed to work.
obviously in normal driving conditions these park brake shoes do nowt so they wont ever really bed in if you dont actually do it in this manner.

ps mine is a manual so i need the park brake. also i had no instructions i just used common sense and it was no dramas.

enjoy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xcmarty For This Useful Post: