View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 18:44   #1
green van man
Premier Member

Default D5 Full Sized Dipstick

Acting on information on this forum I ordered the kit of parts to replace my technicians dipstick with a full sized one.
The kit was.
Volvo part number.
985133 Bolt M7x20. £1.35
31316562 Dipstick. £23.80
31375301 Tube £23.80
30637865 O Ring. £2.70

All prices + VAT.

My D5 is a MY10 P3 of 175 bhp output.

Just above and to the right of the technicians dip stick there is a tapped boss, had I had an M7 tap I would of run it down the threads to clear the corrosion. As it's about the only size I do not have I cleared the hole with a small screwdriver, gave it a good squirt of wd40 to remove any muck and gently screwed the bolt in to clear the thread.

Removed technicians dipstick and noted oil level at 3/4 up the marked area.
Fit O ring to tube and fit into hole, there is a bracket on the tube which aligns with the M7 hole.
Fit M7 bolt and screw it up. An M10 3/8 drive socket and ratchet makes life easy. Fully tighten and fit the dipstick.

Note the new dipstick seems to of been recalibrated as the same oil level now reads as full on the new dipstick.

All told job took 3/4 of an hour, it's a bit of a fiddle as you are largely working by feel but can all be done from the top. Only bit to be cautious about is the sensor wires that pass close to the dipstick, take care not to damage them fitting the tube or tightening the bolt.

Hope this info of help to others.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: