View Single Post
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 19:18   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Default It's a gas!

Had my V70 LPG'd over 100,000 miles ago and have been very pleased with it ever since. Although the car and system might not be the same, the general principles will be the same.

I'd suggest fitting all new plugs (go for single-electrode Bosch) and be prepared to reduce the gap a bit - mine certainly runs better that way. LPG doesn't like the mutli-electrode type plugs. I use Bosch super plus and change them every 10k miles. £1.50 each from the local factors.

Also fit new rotor arm and distributor cap and new leads. LPG is not very tolerant of any deterioration in the electrics, and you'll get misfires and poor running if there are any weaknesses.

Do all of this before the conversion is done, that way when the techie sets it up on gas you'll know everything is right.

After the conversion be prepared to go back to the fitter once or twice for tweaks and checks - you can expect performance to be pretty close to petrol, so don't settle for less!

Once you're on gas, get the filter changed regularly - every 10k or so. LPG is of variable quality and can be full of c*@p, and get the pressure regulator set at the same time. It only takes 10 minutes, and should cost less than £15.

Once evrything is settled in, you should not really notice much difference between LPG and petrol - except at the pumps, where your bill will be less than half that of everyone elses!

Good luck with the conversion - I'm sure it will work out fine!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: