View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 16:38   #23
chrisnjulie
Volvo & Victory owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
BTW, I have been told several times that the police give 10% allowance giving you 77 mph on an unrestricted motorway and they will normally give another 10% on top where only a warning is issued - taking you to 84 mph. the reason they say is that if they stopped everybody above 70 then all drivers in UK would be stopped
My big bruv served 30 years as plod, so:

Unofficially (but don't quote me on it) the police say 10% + 2mph above the limit, but it isn't just the speed you're doing - it's the manner of driving as well. If you're doing 80mph in light motorway traffic keeping a good safety margin around you, it's unlikely you will be 'pulled', but if you're driving on someone's back bumper (at, or even below, the posted limit), undertaking, weaving etc., you can expect a tap on the shoulder from plod.
I'm no angel - I do stick to 30,40 & 50 limits, and the 60mph national limit on A roads, but I have occasionally gone a little over 70mph on a motorway where it felt safe to do so. Personally, I think SLOW drivers on a motorway are more of a problem - you've all seen them - 40mph max, totally oblivious to other traffic and probably responsible for hundreds of accidents even if they never had one themselves.
Past - 480 1.7, V40 1.8
chrisnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote