View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 18:57   #20
CosmicBike

Well that was fun. A morning of flatpack building did my knees and back no favours, and since the replacement fuel tank sender thingy arrived yesterday I figured I'd do that this afternoon, I mean, how hard can it be.....
I should have guessed it was going to be 'challenging' ( I blame it on Brookhouse charging me P&P on 2 orders, then sending them in the same box, I feel a snotty email coming on).
Striping the floor out was easy, then the challenge of finding a brass rod to knock the lock ring round. No joy, so big screwdriver and some insulation tape to avoid sparks saw the old ring off. I did give the whole area a scrub and airdust off to minimise the amount of cr*p that could fall in the tank. At this point I realised my obvious mistake, the pipes were still attached. 26+ years of corrosion made these difficult, especially since it's all got to be done through a 6" hole, keyhole mechanics! Ended up having to slit one of them, but enough slack for it not to be an issue. Old unit came out with a bit of jiggery pokery, and I was surprised to find a pump on the end of it. I'm even more surprised the car has been running so well as this pump has not, cannot have been running since I bought it as I physically cut the cables to the tank.....
Anyways, pump switched to new sender, likewise the old float ball after reading about the aftermarket ones failing, and the new sender was fiddled in. Pipes on, new seal and lockring fitted, suitably bashed round, now using part of the split fuel pipe as an insulator.
Battery -ve re-attached, and starts on the button. Strange hearing the in tank pump, but nice to have a working petrol gauge, YAY!!!!

Got a few lamps to replace in the centre console for the heater controls, already figured how to get to those. Also one not working behind fuel/temp gauge, need more fiddle time to work out how to get to those.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote