View Single Post
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 21:53   #7
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Some snippets from other posts Ive been answering, for Q&A type reference:

Since I purchased the car 6 y/a I was using 0w30 a5/b5 recommended by volvo either castrol or shell and replacing every 5k miles.

There was oil a oil consumption roughly 0.7l in 5k miles for the last 4 years.
Not sure if this has somethings to do with volvo dealer overfilled my engine by 0.5l and I was driving with 6 l instead of 5.5 for few weeks.

Anyway I flushed my engine using Tec4 oil flush.
After that I replaced filter , flushed engine with new 5w30 for 20 min drive and drain again.
New filter and new shell oil 5w30 ab/b5 and I must say that oil looks like new till 1.5k and even now at 2.5 does't looks very dark and I'm pretty sure oil consumption is gone.

Now some people recommend to use 10w40 for few volvo models as the 0wXX or 5wXX does not maintain the minimum of 1bar oil pressure at idle.

I was also thinking to switch to ester oil like fuchs titan for example but they don't make them @ a5/b5 the only spec they have in common with recommended by volvo 0W30 castrol is API SL.

So my questions are

1. it safe to use 10W40 or 5W40 is better

2. Is safe to use Ester oil with unknown a?/b?

3. Is safe to switch to a3/b3 or a3/b4 instead of a5/b5.

Answer;
I wouldnt go 10w40, get a good 5w40 to A3/B4. Furthermore your hot oil pressure is more related to the hths value than the static viscodity on the label, so an A3/B4 oil will maintain pressure better than an A5/B5. Regardless of whether its 0w30 0w40 5w30 5w40 A5/B5 has hths of 2.9-3.4, A3/B4 has hths greater than 3.5, so, fir example a 0w30 or 5w40 A3/B4 can have a hths of 3.7, whereas both grades in A5/B5 could have a hths of 2.7, this makes a significant difference in oil pressure and hydrodynamic lubrication.

Related info from another answer to another post;
...30 or 40 dont mean a whole lot in the engine, what is most relevant is the hths value, this can be the same in either a 30 or 40, B5 is 2.9-3.4, B4 is greater than 3.5, a higher hths (within the realms of sensibility, in these instances (without going into too much technicality) within appropriate grades, ie not a 20 or 60) offers better protection, or at least a better 'buffer' of potential protection under certain circumstances.
If the engine is not designed for an A5/B5 oil it can cause problems, but if the engine was designed for A5/B5 an A3/B4 can be used without problem.

Another post, where 18k or 9k oci's were brought into question;
My answer:
Modern A5/B5 & A3/B4 oils can stretch to 18k but they are in a bit of a state by then.
12 month 10-12k is optimum, youre getting goid use out of the oil without being wasteful but changing it before it starts to lose its composure. 14-15k is ok if the car primarily does lots of long runs and high speed cruising.

Reply by another member: ...all after 2005 are 18000 miles, those before 2005 are 12000 miles so have had 13 years to knacker themselves , but they don't of course , Volvo use the best oil which holds the particles in suspension . No problem whatsoever .
I've changed 1000's of sumps full oil on D5 with all sorts of mileages and always the oil flows like water and the internals of the oil filter housings and sumps are as clean as when new ….. even on those which are 5000 miles late ! save your money only volvo knows best ..

Me: Some truth in that, though just cos the engine is clean it doesmt mean the tbn isnt depleted allowing harsh acids to attack internals, coming out like water may indicate a lack of suspended sludge, but can also be a result of the oil shearing down to a much lower grade which is less stable, reduces oil pressure and flow and allows more metal to metal contact much more readily.
Volvos own oil will be good quality and good for a long run, but also produced to a price by the blender, though that blender will most likely be castrol/fuchs/total, possibly shell, so should still have a decent make-up.

Again, just trying to provide an info source and/or a place to get into Q&A/Debate, in one place.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post: