View Single Post
Old Jun 22nd, 2020, 11:01   #185
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post
The benefit could be provided with a user accessible method of resetting the sensor, rather than forcing a trip to the main dealer. That’s the greed I’m referring to.

Most cars with a manual dipstick also have a low oil/oil pressure warning light.
Without a reset the display would continue to give the pre-change reading (which could be confusing for the customer), so the reset is required to 'force' a a full indication folowing an oil change. The system updates itself after 30km of driving anyway and then gives the correct reading whether reset during the service or not. So no real problem for DIY oil changes EXCEPT you need to be very careful how much you put in and then can only check the level after driving for 30km, unless you have VIDA or an app which can give you the instanteous oil level sensor reader in mm (I do have a cheap Bluetooth ELM327 interface and the free 'Car Scanner' Android app that can provide this reading).

This caused a weird problem after my last service at a Volvo dealer... somehow they put too little oil in but still reset the dipstick system. So everything looked fine at first when setting off back home (over 30km away) but then when I checked the oil level indication the next morning it was showing 'low' because the system had updated to the new level. Long story short, I had to return for a top-up and got given a free litre of Volvo oil for my trouble...