View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 08:25   #6
whitep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
Yes very interested, I was going to put an Tesla electric motor in my race car but the cost was so high I could have built 2 to 3 normal Turbo engines.
Cant wait to see how you get on, what power and distance are you looking for ?
I personally am simply looking for something equivalent to my Renault Zoe. It is 89hp and does about 100 miles depending on season. In summer its more in winter its less.

On one of the EV forums lots of people seem to think because I am converting I should be slicing and dicing the car. Putting 200kg of batteries and 300hp motors. Losing the back seat etc. Or taking a smashed Nissan Leaf and putting it in the Amazon.

THAT IS NOT MY AIM!

I want to take an almost stock classic car. Restore her. Keep her as original as possible, but with an electric motor. The 1.8 engine was about 86hp, so the gearbox and running gear can stay. I hope to hide 3 battery cells in the back and 2 in the front. A 75hp(ish) motor on the gearbox. All the other electronics in the front. This should keep the corner weight similar to stock. Perhaps a little heavier.

I don't want to effectively take a pre existing car and put the Amazon body on it. Its lots of work and I might as well buy and drive a pre existing car. I want it to be different. A daily commuter. And simple.

Granted I will add mod cons. Maybe a LCD dash because the stock one will have lots of unused bits in the electric car. Also a stereo, Aux port, USB ports etc. Maybe proximity sensors, I dont know yet.
whitep is offline   Reply With Quote