View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 09:58   #188
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire2160 View Post
I have had the rising oil problem this week,my car is 2.4 d d3 awd. I have owned the car for three years with no problem but this week had the oil issue. The engine is supposed to take 5.9 Ltr of oil. Volvo have told dealers and service centres to only put 70% in which is 4.2 litres to allow for oil rise. My service guy has explained to me ,that when the car regenerates diesel is injected into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke of the engine pushing extra diesel into the exhaust raising the temperature so the particles burn off the dpf. However with unburnt diesel in the cylinders it drops down past the piston rings and enters the sump thus rising the oil level. There are two very important reasons why this oil needs to be changed one is that diesel dilutes and brakes down the oil which it does not lubricate . The other and most important is if the level rises past 120% the risk is the engine can pull the oil through the turbo and your engine runs on. The result is complete destruction of your engine you won’t be able to turn it off with the key your engine revs way past the red line until it goes bang.

Your engine oil capacity is 5.8 litres after adding this the oil level gauge has to be reset with the dealers VIDA system ...

4.2 litres is WAY too low whoever told you that , certainly not a volvo dealer ..... the original capacity was 6.2 litres until 2006 . This is where you are confused , it is 70% of 6.2 litres NOT 5.8 litres

I don't know what you have done , But assuming you have exactly 5.8 litres of NEW oil , I would get the oil gauge reset then go from there .
Oil rising is NOT a common problem with these engines , are you doing a lot of short journeys perhaps ? It may be that just as the regeneration starts , you have to stop , so the cycle goes on ...