View Single Post
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 12:36   #2
Suterman
240 Turbo

The car being turboed is a 1991 240, that means it comes with Bosch Lh jetronic 2.4 this means as long as I use an engine with the same engine management it will all the loom will be compatible with the new engine.

Using this car with 2.4 save a lot of messing about with wiring or transplanting modern efi into a car made to run with carbs or continuous injection.

The doner engine is from 1995 940 (b230fk) a good doner as it has the 13mm con rods and piston oil squirters already.

I decided to rebuild the engine as it has covered 270,000 miles and though it has been well maintained and ran before removal, it was a bit smokey. it would have been a lot easier and cheaper to just use a known good, low mile engine, but this one came up for £100 so I grabbed it.

Trial fitting the turbo and manifold, I am using a later type manifold and a turbo from a 760 auto, the later type manifold is supposed to flow better but has a smaller exit port than the turbo inlet so I chain drilled the hole out and then a friend ground it out using rotary stones and a drill (maybe 3 hrs total job time)

You can see that space is tight, but using an old 940 downpipe cut and welded to fit I have about 3/4" clearance on the steering column, the turbo clears the inner wing with maybe 1"-2" to spare.

You can see the brake and clutch lines are a bit close to the turbo, I am planning on either moving or shielding these.

Here is a pic of the progress so far.....

1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote