View Single Post
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 23:44   #53
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of that (highlighted above) and what FoMoCo stands for thanks The XC60 in particular shares its platform with the Land Rover Freelander 2 (which IIRC FORD owned at the same time as VOLVO) and their own FORD KUGA SUV which they are both probably based on.
BTW... the so called " Genuine FORD" parts are sometimes more expensive than the so called "Genuine VOLVO" parts PAS pumps come to mind as a good example, which are actually made by ZF in Germany.
As for suspension parts, they are only stamped FoMoCo but are actually made by Sachs, Febi Bilstein, Lemforder, etc., ... I know this as I've just changed most of my suspension as you can clearly see in this thread.
That makes sense, as Ford don't actually manufacture the suspension components for their vehicles themselves (They use a company like Sachs, stick the Ford logo on it & then increase the price because they (Ford) claim its a "genuine" part that they made, eventhough it was another company like Sachs that made the part in the first place ).

The same applies to oil filters that have Volvo stamps on them... Volvo don't manufacture filters (They use Mann ones & put the Volvo stamp on it). So much so, you may come across an oil filter for example that has the Volvo & Mann stamp on it if you look closely. Always comes in handy when buying parts for vehicles, as many "aftermarket" brands are actually the companies that manufacture & supply the parts to the car manufacturers. Yet, when you go into a parts department in a dealership, the price for a particular part will usually be higher than the exact same one that you can buy off the internet from an "aftermarket" brand just because it hasn't got the Volvo badge on it.

So, buying quality "aftermarket" brands like Febi Bilstein, Lemforder etc are great choices. Obviously, you're aware of this Auto Addict, but just for others who may be reading this thread & are thinking of buying "genuine" Volvo parts, you don't have to for the reasons mentioned earlier in this post. The oil filter Volvo sell you is a Mann filter with their (Volvo) stamp on it & usually a few quid more for the privilege. So shop around, you don't always have to run to the dealership when you need a part.

Great job on the suspension work by the way. Will you have to get a four wheel alignment done now?

Last edited by Kev0607; Jun 24th, 2020 at 00:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote