View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 16:25   #2
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
I have a 2011 XC70. I don't use its satnav because it is out of date and new map DVDs cost over £60. I have a very satisfactory Garmin connected to the 12V socket that suits me. When I power up it says that I have the wrong connection for traffic info. The Volvo satnav has a traffic info connection.

Do I need a different type of connector or is there a way to piggy back the in-car traffic info system?

A slight irritation is that we occasionally knock the button that pushes up the in-car satnav. I would ideally like to be able to disconnect it.
I don't have a separate nav system, but I doubt it's the power connection the system's referring to - I'd bet it's a setting on the Garmin. How it get's it's power is irrelevant to getting up to date traffic updates. That's normally a setting allowing it to connect to RDS, surely?
I also wouldn't pay for new discs, and on my my older Mercs and Seat I bought a "back-up" dvd from an ebay seller that was current. He had to call them "back-up" to get around copyright and piracy issues. Worth a googling, I think.
And if you have a USB socket you can always download the latest maps from Volvo onto your PC and then update the car from that. It just takes about 2 hours....