View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 15:52   #40
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
I haven't forgotten the Volvo, but have been sidetracked. Since I got the engine for the MGA, that has been the main priority. Have raced x2 and it's running quite nicely. There was a 122 in one of the races last weekend and I think I got some video of that.

Last night, I think I finally finished off the steering wheel, painting a gloss black.

I've also been working on the floor pans. Concentrating on the passenger side as there are just two pinholes of rust through. Using POR15 which is interesting stuff. I'm using a plastic container to hold the paint and when it dries on the plastic, it looks and feels like a sheet of mylar. But when it dries on the disposable brush, the brush is rock hard. Finish on the metal is glossy and hard. I'll have to scuff it up. I'll probably top coat with white.

I haven't decided what to do on the drivers side. I'll probably POR 15 that side as well as I want to drive the car this summer.
POR15 is indeed weird stuff. If you want to stop a film from forming you need to stop air from getting to it. An old disposable glove on top of the paint inside the tin is a good start. To stop the tin lid from sticking on the tin use cling film / sandwich bag for the lid and then press down hard (hammer time!)

The thing to remember about POR15 is that it isn't necessarily as good as it says on the tin. De-rusting before is really important that's why they harp on about the Metal Ready + prep + Marine clean stuff.

Once it has dried I recommend you try and sand it off! I know it sounds a bit mad but you need to make sure it has stuck properly otherwise it just carries on rusting underneath.

Top coating POR15 isn't that straight forward either. You are best off using the POR15 self etch primer on top to bind the next layer of paint. They also sell a "tie coat primer" but it takes ages and ages to dry (in a Northern Europe climate).

If you paint on top of POR15 with out the tie coat or self etch then it is likely to flake off.

(I hope this helps and not ****es off!)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote