Thread: S40: - S40 door handle kaput
View Single Post
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 16:18   #9
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Mine snapped right at the back of the handle the other day, where it connects to the curved lever part that sits inside the handle and pulls out to unlock the latch.

I can get my finger in behind the handle, and pull the (slightly sharp) broken lever edge outwards. It doesn't take much effort to pull it, as long as you can get a finger on it. It's harder to get purchase on the lever in the rain, as it's slippy, but still doable.

I'm living with mine for now until it gets warmer (or I get fed up of doing it). I am going to try carefully using Araldite to glue them together, when it gets warmer outside, but I don't think it'll work, as the handle does bend & rotate slightly in the mounting as you pull it outwards. First time the door is frosted shut and I accidentally yank the handle, it'll just snap the glue again.

Removing the handle to glue it might work better as you can be more liberal with the gunk. On the car you risk sticking it to the housing and it'll never move again.....

Gatos suggested screwing carefully through the handle into the latch, that's one option, but it'll look rubbish.
Don't waste your time with araldite. It'll snap the first time you use the handle.

If you don't want to replace the handle, get your man at the garage to whack a screw through it. It works and I've seen it done but it does look **** and gives a nice sharp edge on the handle face.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post: