Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Leak when re-fuelling - filler pipe connector?
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:24   #1
undercoverxc90

Default Leak when re-fuelling - filler pipe connector?

Hi guys

XC90 T6 2.9 2004

Had a strong whiff of petrol after refuelling recently - but goes away more or less by the time I get home. An obvious culprit ( according to the internet! ) is the top of the pump, so I spent a while exposing that the other weekend and it was completely dry. It has been a bit random, I don't do many miles so am not refuelling often, but it does always do it, didn't seem to matter if filling to full or not.

Yesterday I noticed a lot of dripping whilst re-fuelling so drove round the corner and got straight under the car - looks to be the rubber connector between the filler pipe and the fuel tank, which is only a £12 part. That connector was totally soaked. However, I cannot feel any obvious splits in it - but wondered if anyone had any experience getting this replaced? It sounds to me like yet another sub-£20 part that will cost me £200 to replace in labour! ( e.g. ABS Sensor rings )

I also wonder if perhaps the breather pipe not clear, causing the fuel to sit up in the filler pipe for longer than perhaps it normally would do - I really don't know how much fuel 'sits' in the filler pipe and for how long when you fill the tank, but in this case I was only filling to around 2/3rd full..

As I say, it is only exhibiting this as I am actually putting fuel in - and I could see no sign of fuel above the level of the connector so I don't think there is a hole in the filler pipe itself or the connection to the fuel filler cap area.

Many thanks!
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote