View Single Post
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:39   #27
Yobbo
Dave

Managed to do 40-85 in 9 secs last night (slight uphill straight), could probably nip a bit more off if shifting before 4k rpm to take advantage of the boost surge when upshifting...
That's the thing with this D5 and big boosting diesels in general in that the power delivery is a lot less linear, rewarding when the boost comes in but timing gear changes generally before redline where the torque drops off is paramount in getting the most out of the engine.
I dare say driving my D5 requires a bit more attention than an 2.5 T5 or similar that I've driven (Focus RS MK2), you're obviosuly shifting more, and with each gear knowing where beginning of the power/boost curve is something that comes down to feel over time as opposed to the more immediate and linear power delivery of a petrol turbo.
Mind you, I still sometimes pull out of junctions giddying up, worrying that my boost won't kick in before someone sideswipes me!!

Welton - that T4 was an animal! Shame it got knacked by a biddy.
Also Dom, I reckon your car must be around 250-260, looking forward to your car's progress!