Thread: V40 or V60
View Single Post
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 08:28   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsteetley View Post
Hi all,

I’ve been absent from the world of Volvos for about 7 years and I’m ready to make another purchase. I’m here for some advice 👋

My wife is ready to start driving again so I’m going to get rid of the manual estate mondeo and get a more friendly sized automatic Volvo.

I think I’m looking at either a V40 or V60. 2012 -2016ish. I’m worried if I go longer she will not be comfortable with it (we live in Cornwall)

Q1. Factory stock sound systems are super important to me. Do either of these models have small subs already built in? And am I right in thinking some have Harmon Kardon systems? Are they easy to spot?

Q2. Is there a particular engine version I should be looking for? I’d like to find a balance between economy, road tax and performance.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Tom
My good lady now drives an S60 but drove a V60 for the four years up until last autumn, while I drive a V70.

She finds my V70 too big but she also found the V40s that she’s sat in too small.

The V40 would actually also be too small for both of us as it wouldn't have sufficient utilitarian value, either. The V60 was excellent, for instance, at taking our dismantled garden shed to the dump, but the V40 wouldn't have been.

Having driven a 2-litre V40 D2 Geartronic around Tuscany in 2019, I can also say that the V40 feels small from the driver's seat, whereas the V60 doesn't. But, then again, the V60 doesn’t feel as big at the front as the V70 either, which places it in our domestic sweet spot.

Having also driven my good lady’s V60 around Cornwall in 2020, I can say that it was a doddle on those narrow and windy up and down roads, whereas I suspect that my V70 (and your Mondeo) would be slightly more demanding in that respect.

Were we looking for one car to share, then out of your options the V60 would be the one.

Perhaps you now need to sit your good lady in some cars as you also need to know whether or not it’s going to be easy to find a car that works for both of you. She might also need some time to feel her way around this. Her first reaction might not be her final one.

In terms of audio, the spec or any car being sold will declare whether the system is Performance, High Performance, or Premium. We both have High Performance, and it’s good with a highly configurable sound, but no sub. I’d view High Performance as the minimum requirement. Another poster might be able to comment further on sound systems. I can say, however, that the choice of car is arguably more important. You can always add a sub to the right car, but a pre-fitted sub in the wrong car would be useless to you.

In terms of engines, you need to tell us more about what you currently have and what you’re looking for in terms of fuel type and performance expectations. You might also benefit from checking out a load of adverts to get your own head around the various engine options out there and the associated costs before coming back with a shorter list of your own.