View Single Post
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 09:34   #411
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenH View Post
I have the S-Tronic (DSG) box on my Audi S3 at the moment - it really "makes" the car. Unfortunately, due to Co2 / tax reasons, I've gone with the manual box on the V60 D5 that I've just ordered.

Much of the interactivity that you miss when going from manual to auto is there with a DSG 'box - i.e. the ones that are double clutch and come with flappy paddles, launch control and various other features that keep you involved. In fact, the only bit of the box that isn't interactive is the auto function for creeping traffic and the like.

You could argue that DSG isn't strictly an auto, but I will miss the auto function when my V60 arrives. Frankly, Geartronic is a generation behind and I'm really hoping that Volvo apply the (?) Ford dual clutch system to their 5-cylinder engines as soon as possible.
Yes the ford Powershift gearbox is wonderful , and has been available on the 2.0D engine for 3 or 4 years now , and is currently on the 4 cylinder petrol turbo engines . It might not be able to handle the torque from the 5 cylinder engines ,However this will be short lived as volvo have broken away from ford and are currently developing their own engines and transmissions , so watch this sace as they say ..