Thread: D19 - S40/V40 to 2004 - V40 Cam Belt Replacement
View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 21:28   #6
S40T3
Where does that bit go?

Thanks to Paul for the pdf files. I have just taken the plunge and started to change the belt on my '02 S40D (115bhp). So far, so good (it went dark on me!). The crank pulley came off easily and an 8mm drill bit is locking the crank nicely - although I had to remove much of the intercooler piping to reach the timing plug (11mm).

The 85hz is a resonant frequency which changes with belt tension (allegedly). Sealy do a tension meter and the sp is to 'pluck' the belt between finger and thumb. The meter then records the belt resonance. Fine - if you can get a finger behind the belt in the first place! Also, the meter is over £400, so it is back to bodgit methods for me.

I have been changing belts for 20+ years on my 240s, Transits etc., using nothing more than a hammer and screwdiver, plus some common sense; are newer engines/belts really that much more critical? I tend to 'take up the slack' (just taut) plus a bit. If I can twist the belt more than 20-25 degrees using moderate finger pressure, it is too loose. Does anyone know of a more 'precise' rule of thumb?

I'm planning to fit a new tensioner, but leave the water pump (at 57k miles). Is there anything else I should be looking out for? The alternator pulley sounds fine - as far as I can tell, but I will fit a new poly belt.

Bill
S40T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S40T3 For This Useful Post: