Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 17:39   #1705
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
It could have, though, Alan, had it not been for the oil crisis in the mid seventies. Volvo were at that time developing a V8 to rival the likes of the Rover SD1. On reflection, it was decided that in the circumstances this was not such a good idea and is the reason why the V6 motor in the 262/4/5 is a 90, and not 60, degree vee unit.

What a fine car that might have been had they held their nerve. A missed opportunity, I think. Pleased that you're continuing to enjoy the R.B.; do you think you'll ever run out of things to do?!

Regards, John.
As far as i'm aware, the only V8 car Volvo have ever produced was the Yamaha powered S80 - had Volvo grown a pair in the early 70s and gone for it, i would (presumably) be the owner of a 785GLE now and the 26x would have been 28x models. If memory serves when i worked out the capacity based on what it originally ended up as in V6 form (2664cc) it would have been just shy of 3.6L With the increasse in 1986/7, it would be 3.8L now........................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you Bob,

I'll try to find that thread - it has never made sense to me to have such a condensation trap in the back box - which probably doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water vapour if the car is used for short journeys (as I suspect the RB may have been - 108,000 miles in 40 years). Many manufacturers seem to design the back box like that though; do you think having a hole (however deliberately placed) in the exhaust would be legal (not that the RB is liable for MoT tests any more)?

I'll see what sort of tailpipe the new back box comes with. If it is the S type I'll certainly try that out first. As Dave suggests I'll hang on to the L shaped one (with the twin tail attached) - access under the back of the 244 is so good it would only take 10 minutes to swap them at some time later to compare them.

Alan
I believe it's legal to drill a 1/8" (3mm hole) at the end of the box which is lower to drain it Alan and now need for a self-tapper to seal it so it "drains as you drives".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hi John,

What an interesting story - looking at the RB's engine bay I can imagine a V8 (particularly an OHV one like the Rover/Buick) would have fitted pretty well and would have pushed the car along quite nicely.

Will I ever run out of jobs to do on the RB? I doubt it; there will probably still be a few on the list to be included in the eulogy at my cremation!

:-)

PS. Now there is a mischievous thought: a Rover V8 conversion for the RB's 50th birthday!
The POB/Rover V8 conversion has been done Alan and in terms of what was around at the time, would be a contemporay conversion - very nice with a 4-speed auto! These days most people look at using the Lexus/Toyota 4.0L V8, 250bhp of easy power and the gearbox is an AW71 in disguise so makes life easier!

Hmmmm, let me think - 4-speed AW71 conversion for the RBs 40th, an extra 4 cylinders in the form of a V8 for its 50th? That sounds like a good, progressive plan!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: