Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 09:08   #1708
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Attached are shots taken at Billing and Market Harborough VBOA National meets showing the underbonnet layouts of an FD-series V8, an VX-series with the standard Vauxhall slant-4 and an FE-series (essentially identical to the VX-series) car with a Rover V8 to give you an idea of what might be possible.

Another FD showed up that had a Chevy 327 cu in V8 with an Edelbrock riser manifold and a BIG Holley 4-barrel petrol pump fitted but I can't find a decent photograph of that one. (I'll keep looking though as I'm sure I photographed it...)
I'm sure the FE series was designed with a V8 in mind, i know in Australia Holden built them with V8s as standard but they were called something else and had minor styling changes, a bit like the Holden Gemini which was really a Chevette as we knew it but with styling changes and a 2.0 turbo under the bonnet of some, donated i believe from the Isuzu Piazza Turbo, itself based on the same floorpan as the Chevette.

Back to the Victor/Ventora range, the slant-4 we got in the UK was a peach of an engine, heard rumours it started life as a Chevy V8 diesel but they got rid of 4 cylinders and the Devils Fuel from it and created smaller cylinders to give us the 1800 and 2300. I always wanted to redress the balance and fit a Rover V8 in the one i had but it never happened.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: