View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 10:29   #17
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Some time back I advertised a pair of self levelling shock absorbers that came off my friends 240:~ very good condition body wise- gaiters need replacing as do the rubber bush eyes, these also have the removable bottom end for renewing the fluid (done) no response to this on the forum so still with me.
----------------------------------- " ----------------------------------

Anyway: on my car it has the normal rear suspension (standard) but I had never been happy with the rear stance- even with new springs-it was too low.
My solution was/is to purchase a billet of aluminium to match the diameter of the flat plate that the spring sits on (I used round but can be done in a square section)
The above is drilled through to take a heavy duty H.T. bolt that passes through the same, the original inner spring plate has the spline fitting knocked out to take the longer bolt.
From memory the new spacer is approximately one and a half inches deep.. could be two with the O.D. being the equivalent of the suspension flat plate that the spring sits on. (you can experiment with the spacer if you wish)

You need to make sure that the shock absorbers can open to the new height adjustment without hitting the top stop area- they can vary.

The above has been fine for me for many years of service without any noticeable changes in the actions of the suspension: a spacer may be a solution here? and not expensive to do.
(The car now sits better & looks correct)

Trust the above gives some further ideas or options.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote