View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 10:19   #7
dcwales

Default Problem Resolved To Car Not Starting

Firstly thank you for all the replies and advice sincerely appreciated and helpful.

I eventually got the car backup and running yesterday after a lot of trial and errors. I thought it would be of value to share not only the fix but the lessons learnt for me anyway.

The car would crank but not start, no signs of life not a splutter.

This happened after I remove the EGR outlet pipe and clean it ( with Carb cleaner ) and the outlet side of the EGR . This seemed very straight forward job at the time and did it because the car had a slight hesitation now and again . It is a Euro 4 D5 and believe the EGR system is different to previous versions

The car fired back into life by using Quick Start directly into the engine via the inlet manifold ( ie I removed the EGR outlet pipe ). Once started I let the car completely warm up and made sure I revved it to clear out any dirt.

My local indy garage had suggested I try quick start and suspected that a couple of things had caused the problem.
  1. When cranking some of the loose dirt got into the inlet
  2. The EGR mechanism got stuck due to the carb cleaner softening the deposits

The lessons I have learnt from this
  1. When cleaning the EGR it is an all or nothing job .I thought taking off the pipe, clearing out the obvious dirt is a good enough job , it is not. Although I removed all the dirt , I probably moved some it further into the EGR system. So I would recommend if you do clean your EGR remove both the inlet and outlet pipes and put in the time and effort to totally clean and blow out ( I never did that ) to eliminate as much dirt as possible.
  2. Beware that you could soften the dirt when spraying carb cleaner that resides deep into the EGR flap that you cannot get to when cleaning with the EGR in place.
  3. Be really careful when removing the outlet EGR pipe , apart from having the battery disconnected, the pipe is tight against the wiring loom , also there is a connector tucked under the pipe.
  4. Don't over think the problem .I convinced myself I must have broken a wire or sensor taking the pipe out and starting heading off in the completely wrong direction.

I appreciate that I made the mistakes, but hope by sharing them it will help others avoid them.

On a positive note to end, the car now runs so much better. Hesitation has completely gone , acceleration is a lot smoother and can see from the instant fuel consumption figures a definite improvement.
dcwales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcwales For This Useful Post: