Thread: B+E Licence
View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 00:59   #26
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
No, the Gross Weight is the maximum permitted total weight. It has got nothing to do with the actual load.

The GW is there by design. It is stamped on the chassis. Even when the trailer is empty it still has the same GW, and it is the GW that determines the towing restrictions.
The above is correct.

Also the 85% rule is not law in any way, it's a widely accepted common sense practice for sizing caravans - big, boxy, susceptible to wind loads.

The kerb weight includes all fluids (fuel) and the driver.

Also towing/weight offences do not invalidate your car insurance (the ability of a third party to claim).

Leaving class B calculations aside - it's perfectly acceptable to tow a trailer whose GW exceeds the towing rating of the car provided the actual weight is within limits - probably 40% Plus of HGVs on the road are operated this way.

Another point - VOSA seem to have some strange ideas from time to time and a frustrated traffic cop told me recently that they tend to subtract the GVW of the tow car from the MTW to get the towing weight - which could give a lower figure than the manufacturer. I'm not sure if this is quite true as I don't see how it would stand up in court.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 19th, 2016 at 01:03.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote