View Single Post
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 00:33   #5
tosoutherncars

DISSASSEMBLY (CONT'D) - BRAKES

As previously mentioned, I have the car up high, on jackstands.

1) The rotors are held on by the locator pin (seen at six o'clock here), which is removed using a 10mm deep socket.

2) Each caliper is held on by two bolts, from behind. Mine were 15mm (p/side) and one 15mm, one 16mm (driver's side). Very odd; yours may be different. In any case; unbolt, and hang the caliper off a loop of the rear spring (wire coathangers work well here).

3) The pbrake drum assembly (retaining clip, spring, drums and spacer) can now be disassembled. I won't post photos here for bandwidth reasons, but they are in my album. I think it should be available to everyone; http://s10.photobucket.com/user/toso...?sort=6&page=1

4) Remove the retaining clip (behind the dust shield) and remove the outboard end of the parking brake cable (sheath and inner portion).

5) Remove the muffler (to allow access to the inner portion of the cable assembly) as follows. Loosening the exhaust clamp above the rear axle, p/side (a tight squeeze; 15mm, I think). unhook the muffler hangers (I chose to unhook the outboard rubber mount, and unbolt the inboard hanger assembly, 2x14mm nuts. The muffler should drop somewhat, and can now be wiggled from side to side until loose.

Hint: I found it necessary to jack up the exhaust slightly, just in front of the axle (i.e. behind the resonator) to allow more room to drop the muffler.

The inner workings of the pbrake cable assembly can now be accessed somewhat.

View from outboard;

View from inboard;

That's where I left it for the night; dosed everything with a shot of PB Blaster and put everything away. Back at it tomorrow.
tosoutherncars is offline   Reply With Quote