View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 23:31   #81
fgx318

Thumbs up

Hi there,

Good news for me today ! My D5 engine doesn't go into limp mode anymore, it's fixed ! It pulls as it should, reaches 5000 rpm, kickdown are strong, bref, it works !

I had time today, so I decided to remove the turbo from the engine, put it on the bench and dismantle it.

Here are some photos I took to show how I proceeded and that it's a pretty easy task apart from the soot I can't get rid off my fingers...

The beast

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Remove the clip

Remove the 3 bolts that hold the actuator, remove it and undo the 4 remaining bolts

Now take a soft hammer and gently tap on the body, it comes easily, don't be shy on the use of WD40

Aaah ! there we are ! What's inside....?

As you will see in the video, the vanes are stuck and in need of a thorough cleaning... Undo the 3 screws

Pull the "vanes carrier" off of the body...

Be careful not to lose the sleeves...

Clean every parts, brush them, soak them in WD40 or something more corosive, anything that can remove the soot and leave your parts spotless and crystal clear ! Ultrasonic cleaning would have been my best bet but I had no time to find and go to a company that supply this service... So parts are cleaned and back in place, the ring and plate are moving freely, smoothly, at this moment I felt pretty confident.

With the turbo almost "new" I reinstalled it on the engine, changed the gaskets, seals, nuts and started the engine my left hand touching wood and my right hand fingers crossed. It's 10pm, dark outside, I finished working under the car with a torch light for only light exactly what not to do... had a last check, no leaks, no weird sounds, no smoke, no fire, ok I went for a test drive... It sounds good the transmission shifts as it did in the past (when the car used to work), engine runs smooth. I accelerate to 2500 rpm, no problem, let's try 3000 rpm, no problem, good ! It's WOT time, unthinkable this morning, limp mode past 2400 for sure !!! And here we go 2500-3000-3500-4500-redline, fantastic...! Power is back, torque is back, my leadfoot is back !
I will do some vacuum tests tomorow with the gauge just to confirm that everything is fine.

The videos are uploading at the moment, I will post them tomorrow...
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to fgx318 For This Useful Post: