View Single Post
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:59   #14
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
Please could you tell me where all the earth leads are? As I see it, there is an earthing point just behind the battery on the chassis rail (left hand side, front of engine bay as you stand in front of car). There are a pair of plaited or braided earth cables from bulkhead to block (middle of engine bay and closest to the scuttle/windscreen). I assume there is something meaty hanging from the gearbox or something?

Cheers,

F
Thats the main earth points in the engine bay. But all electrical problems are not earth faults. Probe with a meter first, if you don't have one, buy one they are about £5. Start with the starter solenoid, stuff the probe down the back of the cover fot the little spade clip, negative on the battery negative look for a voltage when you activate the starter.

As for the calcium battery story, there are differing information sources on the internet. Daves wikipedia entry link features a curcular reference, whereby the wiki references an article page and the article page references the wiki page, I consider it untrustworthy. The story which makes more sense to me is that calcuim batteries have a higher charge "tolerance" than antimony batteries. This what experts like Yuasa say, meaning it works fine with lower voltage charge systems, it just charges slower than in modern cars designed for it. I use a Bosch S4 for several years in mny 360, and have now moved this to my daily 940. Its an excellent battery. I have had problems with my charging system running slowly (on a lead antimony battery), but this was due to voltage drop and resistance in the joints, the lights were also noticable dimmer than they should be. Fixing the charging restored the lights too.

Last edited by TonyS9; Oct 12th, 2021 at 10:23.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: