Thread: 1800: - 73 es starter
View Single Post
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 20:09   #21
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw6092 View Post
I have just fitted a 740 starter to the B18 engine that is going into the 61 4 door that I am recommissioning.I used M12 bolts 100 mm long with a 1.75 thread pitch.They are a tight fit through the bellhousing,I think they are slightly larger diameter than the originals,and probabaly over 50 years of corrosion.a round file and a bit of emery made fitting easier.When fitting the starter in situ it is not possible to get the top bolt in as it is too tight to the bulkhead,maybe dropping the gearbox at the back may help.As a bit of a bodge (or non factory approved permanent repair!) A length of studded rod could be screwed into the starter top hole and a nut used on the bellhousing side.
Hi, I've resurrected this old thread as I have a question which I'm hoping someone can answer.

I'm about to replace the original starter motor on my ES with a new 240/940 one with the thicker, threaded mounting flange. I have followed the advice on the thread and have two new M12x100 part-threaded bolts ready as well as a length of M12 threaded rod if needed for the top mounting. This is because the original 7/16" UNC bolts are probably not long enough to go through the thicker flange of the new starter.

Following the advice on the original post, the threaded rod may be necessary due to there being insufficient room between the bulkhead and the bell housing to insert the new M12 100mm bolt for the upper mounting and a new mounting can be made from the rod to screw through the motor flange and the bell housing and secured with nuts on each end?

My question is can the original 7/16" upper starter mounting bolt be removed without fouling the bulkhead or will I need to cut through it to get it out of the bell housing?

Hope this all makes sense!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote