View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 15:08   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Crikey, i have never changed the oil in a manual, never had an issue with a manual box either, to be honest, i didnt even know you could lol
I had a V70 tdi, bought with 104,000 miles on the clock , when I changed the oil I noticed it sparkled as it emptied into the catch tank, I poured what came out into a clear 5 litre jack and left it by the shed until I was able to take it to the recycling dump. 3 days later I went to move the jack and noticed a silver layer at the bottom of the jack.
The silver layer was 10m or so deep and was slivers of steel that had worn off the gears.

That car is now on 240,000 miles and the box has never been out and never given any problem, but it's the reason I change the gearbox oil every 2 years on my current xc70.

I carry out the same regime on the land rover but check the oils more regularly. It gets used off road and often waded through rivers and water troughs and there is the danger of emulsification of the oils, if any water has got passed a seal oil is changed and breathers checked immediately, it will be changed again at the 2 year interval.

In comparison to engines, gearboxes and axils oil is very cheap and any machine runs sweeter on clean oil.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: