Thread: V70: Stereo/SatNav/Phone - Sensus satnav predicted journey times
View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2017, 11:32   #1
jwilson

Default Sensus satnav predicted journey times

Having now had the update to V1100 software which allows me to download up to date maps to my 2012 V70, I have found the predicted journey times to be truly weird.

A 200 mile approx drive that I do regularly (several different routes depending on traffic and day/time) is typically about 4.5 hours, unless you hit a major incident or it's a Friday evening. Midweek lunchtime the Sensus satnav showed 5.75 hours with no obvious traffic warnings. It stuck above 5.5 hours for about 30 miles, then over a five mile/five minute period dropped to under 4 hours, which was probably about right. However about 20 miles from home, when I knew that it would take at least 35 minutes, it was showing 18 minutes, which would have meant doing about 70 mph non-stop, through two towns and villages, lots of 30mph limits, and 4 sets of traffic lights. I think it was assuming that as I'd spent the previous 80 miles on a fast dual carriageway I'd be carrying on at that speed.

It has done similar things since. The ETA is totally unreliable, and when going out to a job 200 miles away I always set off with about an hour to spare, and if the ETA is early stop for coffee/lunch, and if held up use it to phone the client to say I may be late. On my prevous Garmin and Tomtom portables ETA was usually pretty reliable - with Sensus it's impossible.
jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote