View Single Post
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:29   #1
Triple-S
How Old?

Default 164E non-starter

Have been nipping in and out dodging showers, trying to make my 164E fire. Last used only 3 days ago when all was fine, it refused to fire at all yesterday, so put the battery on charge overnight as I hurt it a bit.
Car has all new electrics, courtesy Brookhouse: coil, condenser, cap, rotor and leads all replaced about 600 miles ago. However, suspected hairline crack in cap so put old one back on (worked so kept as spare), ditto rotor and condenser as wasn't sure if the spark when flicking points was bluish indicating condenser failure: nothing. Plugs were wet so cleaned and dried (only 800 miles old) and checked for spark - OK. Ditto king lead to earth - sparked fine when whizzed over. Also checked fuses under-bonnet - again all OK. I also sprayed high-octane stuff down the manifold but not a flicker.
I see from Haynes manual they suggest auxiliary air regulator and cold start valve may be faulty, but as the car was fine when I switched it off, have any of you any ideas what else to try (its certainly cold enough here to warrant cold-start virtues) - but not even a cough, implying either fuel or electricity I reckon. I have a locking fuel cap so the local scum couldn't have put some wrapped sugar lumps in my tank (as happened on my old Ford decades ago) thus lowering the octane rating.
Any ideas where I go now gratefully received.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote