View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 16:49   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
..... but that meant it came with LH2.4 which I prefer. A fact unbeknownst to many ordinary folk in early 1990 and especially the Publisher of that magical mystery 740/60 manual who took 13 years to put out a proper updated edition incorporating some detail on LH2.4. I recall scratching my head for a long time in 1990 trying to work out what the hell was under the bonnet as it didn't look like anything in the book!!

Bob
On mine Bob, output with the LH2.2 (almost the same as LH2.4 except no Lambda sensor) is 170bhp - with the cat and Lambda, it drops to 143bhp if memory serves.

That would also correspond to a similar percentage increase in fuel consumption against a well-maintained LH2.2.

However, a similar comparison isn't available between the B230E and B230F as the B230E had K-Jet, although that could also be ordered with the KE-Jetronic which had a Lambda sensor, cat and a device (i can't remember the exact nature of the device now) to alter the fuel pressure to maintain the mixture correctly.

Even after 28 (nearly 29) years, i'm still unconvinced that paralytic perverters (as i prefer to call them) are actually any benefit in the real world. They increase the loading on the engine by reducing the efficiency of the exhaust resulting in increased fuel consumption, they produce H2S (Hydrogen Sulphide) gas which is highly toxic as well as stinking of rotten eggs and for many people, are now the subject of theft from their vehicles.

To me, that's a lose-lose-lose situation!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: