Thread: Suspension: - Broken Subframe Bolt
View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 19:04   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidXC90 View Post
Well, I tried about 4 travelling professionals and none want to do the job because it's not on a ramp. So I'm going to do it myself.
I've got some centre punches and reverse drill bits coming tomorrow, and I'm also going to get some cobalt drill bits as they're harder and were recommended to me by a guy who specializes in removing anti-theft wheel nuts - not in the dead of night, but a proper chap.
His advice confirms the advice of others on this forum: centre-punch dead centre, drill progressively larger holes, lots of 3 in 1 oil to cool and lubricate the tips, have several bits to hand, drill slowly with not much pressure, drill dead straight (easily done lying on your back!) be VERY patient, once drilled all the way through as large a hole as is safe without touching the hole's threads, try to collapse the remaining bolt threads with a punch or similar and use a tap or old bolt to ream out the hole.
So I hope to have the job done by the end of Thursday, and I'll let you know how it goes, with pictures if I get them to work this time.

Aidan
dont forget overalls goggles .hot swarf not much fun hope it all goes well keep us posted
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: