Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 10:51   #627
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I blame antique dealers Alan!

These days because of the "antique culture" people seem to view aything with a bit of age as a rarity so hike the price up accordingly. Then there's the emotional factor from someone having spent many hours (and £££) restoring something old to near-new condition who wants some kind of financial compensation for everything they've invested in it.
You are right on both of those points Dave. Those irritating TV fly-on-the wall programmes following antiques dealers and up-cyclers (a horrible word - but it perfectly describes what I mean) give people the idea that anything made before the turn of the century must be worth a fortune if it is wrapped in a bit of sticky-backed plastic.

You are right about the payback for money spent piece as well. I've noticed sellers listing ordinary servicing items as improvements they have made to cars and bikes. If I spend money on oil and filters for a vehicle I then use then that is just normal maintenance - not some enhancement that I expect to get back when I sell on in 5 years time!

Rant over...