View Single Post
Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 09:56   #34
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky12 View Post
Volvo issued the advisory recently about not letting the fuel level fall below 3 bars. A diesel pumps more fuel to the engine than it uses and spills the spare back to the tank. This has an added advantage in the winter that it warms the fuel left in the tank and in olden days reduced waxing issues. The volvo tank has a spill compartment and that then overflows back into the main tank from where the engine supply is drawn. There is some coding issue in the ECU that in certain conditions there is not enough fuel between those divisions to keep the engine supplied.
That's rather bizarre. Is this the 'issue' which has been the subject of the recall for the D5 to update the software ? If so, I assume (for some reason) it does not affect the D4. The problem with this advice is that it goes against the 'advice' given by the display which asks if you want the system to search for the nearest filling station when you reach ONE bar.
Is there a link to this advice or was published in a TJ ?

The return feed into the spill compartment certainly explains my earlier problem with my V50 when 5 litres was insufficient to 'refresh' a near-empty tank.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Apr 23rd, 2016 at 10:01.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote