View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2017, 16:49   #6
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

The MkII C70 is a fantastic car, I'm on my second one. A lot of late-model ones from 2012 onwards had all the big optional extras thrown in for very little cost with the SE Lux 'Solstice' edition, so you get a really nice interior with all the toys.

That said, if you're after a late-model T5 auto you'd better be prepared for £305 per annum road tax and no more than 30mpg on average. And unless you know someone who's selling one, you'll wait a loooooonnnnggg time for one to come up, I'm not sure that the T5 was even available all the way up to the end of production in June 2013.

Then, at 1¾ tons, there's just too much car for it to handle sportily and it will likewise blunt the edge of the T5's power delivery, as will the auto-box. It's more of a wafty cruiser, and suits a diesel automatic well, which is probably why most of the later ones were D3's. Take it easy and enjoy the toys!

The ride on the 18" rims is noticeably harsher than on the 17". 3000 miles on them in mine on my usual cross-country commute has seen it go from completely quiet to somewhat rattly around the roof, despite me keeping the seals lubricated.

Watch out for suspension issues, shockers as mentioned (on my old C70 at 77k they were about done!), but also broken springs, rattling ARB drop-links, and the rear bushes of the front wishbones (these are the main suspect if you get wobble under braking). Check the roof hydraulic rams aren't weeping, they're a £500 part and pretty much Volvo-dealer only to supply & fit. The air-con condensers are a weakness, they're Ford units and likely to need replacement by 6-7 years old, another £350-£400 and that's for a pattern part at an independent garage.

Do post back up with any further questions you get about the particular car you're looking at

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.

Last edited by Proghound; Aug 10th, 2017 at 16:54.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote