View Single Post
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 20:12   #23
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexbloke View Post
Hmm - OK having just read another thread about testing the AWD - and knowing that my front wheels spin A LOT - my heart has just sunk.... I'm now having that horrible moment of fear of unwittingly buying a lemon last year (god I hope not)

Mine is a 2005 with 120k miles, and tbh generally everything else is in really good nick (ok so that doesnt mean a lot) but can anyone point me in the direction of possible issues here? Could this be a very expensive fix (if it's genuinely not working) - If it's not working - other than the obvious traction issues, does it need to be working? (is it likely to cause more damage for not working?)

Bearing in mind it's recently been through an MOT, would that not have flagged a transmission issue? if it wasn't working?

(Help?)
Firstly, I don't think that you can cause any more "damage" to your transmission than has already been made - except if you hear unfamiliar grinding or knocking. The most common reason for loss of AWD is the front wheel collars which allow drive to be sent to the Bevel gear. These collars strip their splines are cheap to buy but expensive on labour to replace. If you can turn the propshaft with all 4 wheels on the ground here's where your iproblem lies 9/10. It could be the bevel gear, but that is rarely silent when it fails. Expensive to buy and replace. After that you are looking at the Haldex, either the DEM ( haldex controller) or the Haldex unit itself. The DEM can be pressure sensor, oil pump or solenoid. All can be tested - search BBA reman or Volvodiagnostic for info on that.

Good luck

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote