View Single Post
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 00:49   #1
btsuck

Default Fuel consumption question t5-r

I've got an 850 tdi, (winter pack,silver sand metallic) and although not on it's last legs needs a bit spending on it. Starting at the back and working towards the front:
The tow bar is too high and presses into the bumper causing it to rise in the middle.
This may have been due to the fact that the bumper has never seated at teh right height.
4months ago some barsteward used his trailer to pull off the rhs rear bumper, which i kicked back into place and attached a self tapper to the wheel arch lining to hold it on, which was also split/cracked. The bumper now has a permanent flex crease in it. The cu** also grazed/dented the wheel arch.
The tailgate doesn't like staying open so i have to use a special tool (a piece of floor tile) to sandwich between the tailgate and the frame surround.
Rust spots around tailgate opening handle.
No handbrake (but i think will adjust up)
Potential shock absorber change required.
Mirrors. Both held on with a strong glue normally used to hold plasterboards to walls. Works well but you can't move em, although motors do still work.
Car pulls to the right (i live in france so camber other way) and i've already worn the inside edge of the new left hand tyre out, after less than 10,000miles. As soon as i got to off the ferry i noticed it and thought, bolox)
Rust spots on bonnet.
No abs. Had to take the fuse out recently as whenever i braked under 30mph the abs would bang bang bang. Now no speedo or cruise control, but brakes without problem
pock marked windscreen. When the suns low is lethal. It's like someone sandblasted it. Indeed when i bought the car 2yrs ago from PW cars in slough for 1250, and drove it back to france, i opened the air filter box, and found it full of straw. At that time the alternator was making a god awful whining noise, but thankfuly over the months it began to decrease and finally stopped.
The tappets are noisy.
It kicks out loads of smoke under acceleration.
It may need new front shocks too....
It really could do with a new pair of front discs according to the mechanic who i told to be quiet and just fit the pads like i was paying him to.
The bottom plastic cover under the engine was damaged when i got it and held in place with plastic wire clips. I got rid of it.
It leaks oil, about 3 drops in 12 hours (enough to irritate)
Air con doesn't work.
Noisy wipers
Battery rubbish in cold weather but too tight to buy a new one so put on a 30 euro 70 amp i found in a scrap yard. Marginally better.
Intermittant squeeky dashboard
Intermittant sqeeky fan.
Headlight wipers don't work.
One of the fog lights emits only a faint yellow glow.

I think that just about covers it. And now for the good bits. It does 40+ to the gallon.

I am thinking about buying a petrol terbo job. I'l boot it at times, why else would i want one, but when i drive it on A roads at 60, and tootle around and about, what can i expect to get to the gallon.
It's a tough one because i've been on diesel since 1990, starting with a 405 and working up to 6 cylinders 525tds', until i got the 850. It's the quickest diesel i've ever owned.
A further downer is that petrol here is more expensive tan diesel.

Diesel typical supermarket price 1.15€
Petrol .....................................1.30€

(I blame goldman frickin sachs for driving up fuel prices with bernankies free money) but that's another story.

I've seen this on ebay and it's the kind of thing i like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-T5-R...item4aa791a3ff

I'm sure there's more wrong with my car, but i'm open to offers in the region of 2950, pounds........as the heated seats are absolutely A1 and it's got a little black arial on the roof for a telephone. And the map reading lights work a treat along with the alarm. + it's got little lights in the sun visors so you can check your hair etc.
btsuck is offline   Reply With Quote