Thread: V50 Electrics : - V50 towing electrics
View Single Post
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 20:48   #9
fitfurnowt

Yikes, £180!!!
Thanks for your post Savage.
I'm at the point where the bar is fitted with the socket bolted to it. The wire is routed into the car.
The instructions on the Volvo site mentioned in my previous post shows that mechanically, fitting the relay is a simple process. I'm pretty certain that if I could identify the wires going to the bulbs from the blocks and connect to them using appropriate pins then all would be well. My worry is though, that as you mentioned, it's a new car and the warranty would be invalidated.
Also, I spoke to the guys who supplied the relay today and to be honest my initial optimism has gone and I've lost confidence. It sounds like it could be easy to make a costly mistake which would be more expensive to put right than paying Volvo to do it in the first place.
My last car was a VW Bora. I found I could connect the trailer wires to the back of the light cluster using spade connectors giving a nice neat installation without cutting into any wires. Thats OK on a Bora as there isn't any computer wizardry to knacker up, but on the V50.... eeek!
I think the decisions made, I'll call Volvo in the morning and see when they can do it for me.
fitfurnowt is offline   Reply With Quote