View Single Post
Old Dec 17th, 2017, 17:54   #1669
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Well, after 25,000 trouble free miles, I may be about to join this club.

Twice yesterday, on starting from cold, engine was really rough and lumpy, and I had almost no power, like what I imagine limp mode would be. Got the turtle and "Reduced Engine Performance" message on dash, then after about quarter of a mile message goes out and full power restored and all OK.

Does this sound like EGR ?

I'm not totally convinced as I recall a lot of you had CEL stay illuminated, not go out after a minute or so, and don't recall any ( but it's been a long thread, too long to read it all ) loss of performance. Did anyone get brief loss of power ?

All OK today, no turtle or loss of power. A lot milder today than yesterday, is the problem exacerbated by cold ?

My nearest dealer is a 90 mile round trip, so not an easy case of taking it in for them to check for any codes. I will be passing on Friday on my way to visit parents for Christmas, so may see if I can book a slot then, unless of course things become worse in the meantime.

Really hope there is no permanent limp-mode, I need the car over Christmas.........
If rough running of the engine is noticed this is likely to be the EGR VALVE sticking open , they modified the valve a year or so ago , so it would be simply fitting a new modified valve .
This is not attached to the EGR COOLER problem , but a separate fault .
With the cooler problem you tend to get the engine light on long before any running issues are noticed . Limp mode is a smooth drive but just enough power to get you to about 50 mph .