View Single Post
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 07:25   #12
Volvoluke

To answer the question why change the head gasket. I will try to explain the symptoms. My car for the past 3 years out of the 5 I have owned it for has had a external head gasket leak under the exhaust manifold. However the main problem seems to be with the water pump being over pressurised to the point that I now empty my header tank within 10miles no to mention I'm not driving it. The car has also developed a recent rough idile on start up when cold. I have considered changing the water pump again before attempting a head gasket change however I do feel I could be wasting my time as from my research it does seem to be the head gasket, obviously the pump has been changed before but only provided temporary relief. Although I am not convinced of the quality of the pump.
Let me give a little more information on the car. It has 220k and has previously had the head gasket replaced by volvo at 110k.
If anyone is interested I will get some pictures of the external leak which to be honest hasn't worsened over the years. But the coolant consumption has got out of hand and I'm convinced it isn't just down to the pump. However if anyone thinks it is then please let me know
Volvoluke is offline   Reply With Quote