Thread: Amazon: - Brake System Upgrade
View Single Post
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:41   #21
dheming

Update: I gave up trying to learn Google SketchUp, it sucks. So I downloaded SolidWorks trial, it's awesome, and I'm slowly playing with it. In the meantime though I've just been making sketches in a notebook of various ideas. I went through about four different designs and finally hit upon something I'm pretty happy with. Input and/or comments on it's design are welcome:

The scanner picked up a page of notes behind unfortunately. So the main body is 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.120" square tube. The recessed cavity is 2" x 2" x 0.120" square tube. Upper pivot tube is 1" OD x 0.834" ID seamless, middle tube is the 1.25" OD x 1.01" ID that came with the balance bar, and lower tube is of course the steering column. The bottom angle is 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.1875". The brake arm itself is 0.1875" x 1.25" and while not shown in the drawings will be bolted at the top to the assembly and curved toward the seat down by the pedal. This arm will be water jet cut from a cold rolled steel for strength. I ordered most of the materials from onlinemetals.com and received them the other day:

I'm going to start on it tomorrow and hopefully get everything cut to size. I don't have access to a mill so I'm going to be doing this the hard way with a drill press, hole saws, angle grinder, hacksaw, etc. I do have a horizontal bandsaw at least which is an absolute must for metal projects. Hopefully once it's all tack welded together it will fit the pedal box the way I'm hoping, guess I'll find out how good my measurements were.

In other news I was directed to local Volvo parts guy who has an 1800 rearend for me and I should be going to go pick it up next week. Also a few days ago I picked up a nice used set of 16" Volvo Hydra wheels which will be a nice upgrade from my rusty steel wheels and worn out tires.

Last edited by dheming; Dec 11th, 2009 at 07:47.
dheming is offline   Reply With Quote