View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2018, 22:04   #12
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Further update. (and result I hope.)

The third attempt pipes have now been fitted for two weeks and appear to be working as required.
I did manage to source some replacement unions from " Automec", for 1/4 ins. OD pipe, 7/16 x 20 unf, (11 x 1.25 metric), in brass, their code HU14. I telephoned them and the member of staff was kind enough to measure the length of the unions in question from below the nut head to the end of the leader. (13.0 mms.) These are still 1.7 mms too long but may have been satisfactory, however, the local pipe maker had made up another set in cunifer with cut down steel unions so I fitted them with new "O" rings. The unions at the pinion housing which had previously proved a problem were leak free but the unions at the other ends had to be tightened and then re-tightened before they sealed. I then carefully checked that the pipes were not contacting the chassis cross member at any point. As previously mentioned the steering wheel fouled the steering cowling. I tightened the lower UJ onto the pinion then pulled the steering wheel up towards me a few mms. and wedged it there with a couple of rubber wedges between the wheel and the cowling then tightened the UJ on to the lower end of the steering column. To date it is working well.

New pipe, part number 9140941, available to anyone who may have need of it.
When I made initial enquiries with my main dealer to obtain replacement pipes I was informed that the "long" pipe was NLA but that they could supply the "short" pipe. The "short" pipe which they supplied is completely different to either of the pipes on my car but I am assured that it is to fit one of the three types of rack fitted on the 900 series. It is of no use to me but if it is of some use to anyone please let me know.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote